Monday, December 28, 2009

SOUL CRAVINGS by Erwin Raphael McManus

"I wake up each morning reminded that all I need to face the day is to breathe deeply of fresh air and to find my way to the nearest Starbucks." If there's something that bonds me with another human at the most basic level, it's Starbucks.

I needed a book for lounging at the beach in Nhatrang and as a gift, this book came at just the right time. Like an open book, the author writes with a style that skips casual preambles and takes you immediately into his psyche. He compiles 68 short entries under three universal titles - Intimacy, Destiny, and Meaning. Short chapters allow long pauses between the chapters. He offers thoughts about God that most believers are too polite or afraid to articulate in public, or even in private to ourselves. But I think a person who's honest with himself is one who can be honest with God.

This book gave place to a powerful revelation: romantic love is not the highest level love: God's love is. God's love is a superior love that is accessible to all who believe in Him. Many people try to romanticize stuff in an attempt to elevate its importance: a recipe for disappointment.

Where you can get it: about S$20.00 SKS Books
Level of impact: Short chapters engage me long enough to produce intimate interpretations on subject matter laid out.
Timing of book: When I needed something deep and bite-size